Alleged break-in, gun theft lands Belfast man in jail

By Tanya Mitchell | Jul 01, 2014
Source: File image

Belfast — Belfast police arrested a 34-year-old Belfast man on charges of Class B burglary and theft after a reported residential break-in on Swan Lake Avenue Friday, June 27 in which a gun and various personal items went missing.

Joshua Paradis was arrested after Officer Matthew Cook and Sgt. John Gibbs completed a brief investigation, which began after the homeowners called police to report the break-in.

Belfast Police Chief Mike McFadden said the homeowners had been away from home for a few hours Friday and discovered that their door had been kicked in upon their return.

The homeowners initially reported two guns missing from the home — a .357 Smith and Wesson revolver and a Walther .22 caliber handgun — but McFadden said the homeowners called police back to report they had found the .22 inside their house after they called police.

"It wasn't where it was supposed to be because it had been moved, and that's why they reported it missing," said McFadden.

Police later learned that Paradis, who is related to the complainants, had been visiting at their home earlier in the day.

After executing a search warrant at Paradis' residence on Miller Street, McFadden said the officers found the missing .375 as well as some other personal items from the home such as photographs.

After recovering the missing property, McFadden said the officers arrested Paradis and transported him to Waldo County Jail.

Comments (1)
Posted by: Laurie Lee Allen | Jul 06, 2014 19:44

Something is very wrong here. Josh is  caring, peaceful, kind, tolerant, hard working, and respectful. I went to the transfer station looking for Josh on this day. I wanted to take him to a concert at the Bangor Waterfront, he has never been. This man has been working under sweatshop conditions, taunted by some for his kindness, recipient of a death threat (prior to Sandy), and was told to keep quiet about it by City Manager, Joe Slocum. At a City Council meeting I was at, Josh's mom brought the death threat up, no one cared. She told them she goes to food banks to get Josh food. They didn't care. They hurt so many residents with their greed.

Josh lifts over a million pounds of stinking trash a year. He is always kind and helpful to everyone. Even Councilor Mike Hurley states the positive energy and hard work Josh puts out. Embarrassing  that the City takes advantage of Josh. Four years at part time, 3 hours shy of full time, no benefits, barely above minimum wage and Slocum stating in the budget meeting that in 2016 he will be forced by the feds to give Josh health benefits.

I hope this family member drops these charges. Something or someone caused him to react this way. Drug and alcohol tests were negative, the gun did not have bullets, family photograph's? Josh's Dad/best friend passed away a few years ago. Family hurts the worst. City Hall devalues him, day in and out. No money to pay him 3 extra hours...certainly there is plenty of work. Now what will happen? Please help him, honor him and put him on full time. He has worked so hard for all of us. He asks for nothing and gives everything. Please.



If you wish to comment, please login.