Appliance cited in blaze that heavily damaged home

By Ben Holbrook | Jan 10, 2017

Searsmont — A state fire marshal's office investigator said a fire that heavily damaged a home last week most likely was started by an appliance.

The fire at 72 Lawry Road was reported Jan. 2 and by the time firefighters arrived shortly after 7 p.m., flames were burning through the windows. It took firefighters about 30 minutes to extinguish the blaze, which heavily damaged the interior of the home, according to previously published reports.

Sgt. Ken Grimes of the fire marshal's office said investigators believe an appliance in the living room of the home was left on accidentally and sparked the blaze.

The home is owned by Zona Pollard. Fire Chief James Ames said the interior of the residence was “pretty much trashed” as a result of smoke and fire damage.

Crews from Appleton, Lincolnville, Montville, Morrill and Searsmont responded to the fire. One firefighter was injured when he cut his wrist reaching through a window.



Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.