Community rallies around couple forced to jump from burning homeCouple with baby escape fire from second floor
Searsmont — The community has rallied to support a Searsmont couple and their infant son after they were forced to jump out of a second-floor window to escape a house fire Thursday, May 15.
A Gofundme campaign was started online to help True and Jannika Bragg, and their son, Liam, and it quickly shot past the fundraising goal of $25,000. By noon Tuesday, May 20, more than $38,460 had been raised to help the family.
"All who know True and Jannika know how selfless, loving, and giving they are," the site states. "They could really use our support now in this difficult time. We welcome donations to help them replace essential items and begin the long journey of rebuilding their home."
While the family members got out safely, they lost their pet dog, Trixie.
To donate, go to gofundme.com/983hs8.
When firefighters arrived on scene at 169 Woodsman Mill Road at about 12:20 a.m., flames were visible coming from every window in the home, according to Searsmont Fire Chief James Ames. True Bragg was able to jump out of a second story window before his wife dropped their infant child to him. Bragg's wife then also jumped out of the second story window.
Neither Bragg nor his wife were injured after jumping out of the window, but their child was taken to Waldo County General Hospital for evaluation, Ames said.
The Braggs were fortunate to be alive because the blaze intensified shortly after they escaped, according to Ames.
"So blown away by everyone's generosity for the Bragg family during this challenging time. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart," one loved one wrote on the site. "This family means more to me than words can explain, and it is so heartwarming to know that our community is in full support of helping them rebuild while simultaneously brightening their spirits."