Don't cook your wood stove with gas

By Dan Dunkle | Nov 11, 2012

This happened outside our area, but I thought I would include it here because it's good information. Someone hurt themselves after starting a fire in a wood stove using gasoline.

Gasoline has a tendency to explode, making it something you don't want to be lighting on fire anywhere and especially not in your house.

Here's the press release from Maine Public spokesperson Steve McCausland:

"The Maine State Fire Marshal’s Office is advising homeowners never to use a flammable liquid to start a wood stove. This following a fire in Augusta Saturday morning that seriously burned the homeowner who used gasoline to start a woodstove inside the porch of his outer Civic Center Drive home. 38 year old Michael O’Leary is being treated at Maine Medical Center in Portland for serious burns. His wife – 36 year old Amanda O’Leary was treated and released from MaineGeneral in Augusta for smoke inhalation. The family dog died in the fire.

"State Fire Marshal Joe Thomas said, 'Homeowners should never a flammable liquid to start a wood stove fire because the vapors are explosive and cause a fireball. Only paper and kindling should be used to start a wood stove.'

"The ranch style home sustained heavy smoke and heat damage. The house is located near the Augusta-Belgrade town line."

 

 

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.