Electrical problem cited in mobile home blaze

By Ben Holbrook | Oct 14, 2016
Photo by: Ben Holbrook A charred bed frame is tossed through the window of a mobile home on April Road the morning of Oct. 14.

Belfast — An electrical issue is believed to be the cause of a fire that heavily damaged a mobile home on April Road the morning of Oct. 14.

The fire was reported shortly after 8 a.m. when the home's occupants discovered smoke coming from a bedroom in the 1970s mobile home, which is sited at 7 April Road, Belfast Assistant Fire Chief Bob Richards said. When they opened the door, the room was completely engulfed in flames.

April Road is located off Poors Mill Road, near the Waldo town line.

Everyone in the home safely escaped the flames, Richards said, but the fire heavily damaged the residence. The home is insured, the chief said.

He said an electrical problem in the bedroom is believed to have caused the blaze.

The home is owned by Geneva Lessard, Richards said. It is valued at almost $19,000, according to city tax records.

Morrill and Waldo fire departments assisted Belfast at the scene. Firefighters battled the blaze for almost an hour.

American Red Cross is assisting the six occupants who were displaced by the fire, according to a news release. The organization is providing lodging, food and other essentials.

 

Smoke pours through the windows of the residence Oct. 14 as firefighters prepare to enter the structure on April Road, Belfast. (Photo by: Ben Holbrook)
Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.