Finnish Church to celebrate 105th Anniversary

By Art Jura | Sep 17, 2012
Photo by: Courier-Gazette This article appeared in the Courier-Gazette on Jan. 10, 1922.

SOUTH THOMASTON — Rev. Terence R. Willis has announced that this Sunday, (Sept. 23rd) members of the Finnish Congregational Church will observe the 105th anniversary of their church. His sermon will be on "A Dynamic Infectious Faith". The guest soloist will be Harry Grant, with Marion Gray at the organ. The worship service starts at 2:00 pm, and is followed by a traditional 3:00 pm coffee fellowship in Jura Hall. All are invited.

This historic "mission station" was first organized in 1907, with 20 members meeting in each others homes. After various early problems, it was reorganized with 55 members in 1912. The present corporation was finally formed in 1921, and land was purchased on the Georges River Road from John Anderson, and the present church building was constructed in 1922. This church thrived for the next fifty+ years, but nearly closed again by 1994, after which the present growth period was initiated.  

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.