Fire destroys garage, antique vehicles in Winterport
Winterport — A fire destroyed the garage and two antique vehicles at a Winterport residence Sunday, Jan. 6.
Firefighters responded to a call at 165 Monroe Road at 4 p.m. for a garage that was fully engulfed in flames. Winterport Fire Chief Tom Doe said the homeowner was in the garage grinding a piece of metal and did not immediately realize that the sparks had started a small fire against the back wall.
When the homeowner realized there was a fire, he attempted to extinguish it, but was unable to do so, Doe said. He then went into his home to call the fire department, and when he went back out to the garage, the roof was already collapsing.
“There was a lot of flammable stuff in the garage,” Doe said.
Doe said the home was located near the garage, but firefighters were able to contain the blaze with the only damage to the home being some melted vinyl siding.
The garage and vehicles –– a 1940 pickup and a 1949 Chevrolet convertible –– were insured, Doe said.
Firefighters were on scene for a couple of hours, as they assisted with restoring power to the home.
Crews from West Frankfort and Newburgh responded to the fire as well, Doe said.
Republican Journal reporter Ben Holbrook can be reached at 338-3333 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.