Fire destroys RV at Liberty residence

By Ben Holbrook | Nov 08, 2012

Liberty — Fire destroyed a recreational vehicle in Liberty and sent two to the hospital with burns Wednesday, Nov. 7.

The fire broke out around 3:15 p.m. after two people were working on the heating system in an RV at a residence at 226 McLain Road, Liberty, Fire Chief Bill Gillespie said. When crews arrived the RV was fully engulfed.

“The call came in as an RV/mobile home fire with explosions and two victims who were burned,” Gillespie said.

Gillespie said the fire was ruled accidental and was caused by an issue with a propane tank that was being changed. However, it was unclear exactly what happened with the propane tank that resulted in the fire.

“There wasn’t much left to salvage,” Gillespie said.

Fire Marshall Joe Thomas said he did not have any more details regarding the fire during a telephone interview Thursday, Nov. 8.

The two individuals who suffered burns in the fire were treated at the scene by a Liberty Ambulance crew and transported to Waldo County General Hospital.

The RV was completely destroyed, but firefighters were able to save two nearby RV’s, Gillespie said.

Crews from Montville, Palermo, Searsmont and Washington responded to the scene to help battle the blaze.

Republican Journal reporter Ben Holbrook can be reached at 338-3333 or at bholbrook@courierpublicationsllc.com.

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.