Firefighters battle blaze at Searsport residence

By Ben Holbrook | Feb 01, 2013
Photo by: Ben Holbrook Firefighters work to extinguish a fire that started in a residence on Savery Road in Searsport.

Searsport — Firefighters responded to a residential fire at 172 Savery Road in Searsport shortly before noon Friday, Feb. 1.

First responders reported seeing heavy smoke coming out from underneath the eaves of the home. Fire Chief Andy Webster said an electric heater ignited a couch, which started the blaze in the residence. Webster said the heater was either placed too near to the couch or a dog knocked it over.

Both residents and their three dogs were at home when the fire started and were able to safety evacuate without any injuries, Webster said. The fire destroyed the residence, but Webster said it was insured.

Crews were on scene for about five hours battling the blaze and performing clean up, Webster said.

Crews from Stockton Springs, Prospect and West Frankfort assisted at the scene.

Republican Journal reporter Ben Holbrook can be reached at 338-3333 or at bholbrook@courierpublicationsllc.com.

Heavy smoke obscures the scene of a residential fire in Searsport. (Photo by: Ben Holbrook)
Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.