Firefighters rescue cat from smoke-filled building

By Tanya Mitchell | May 02, 2014
Photo by: Tanya Mitchell Searsport fire crews kept Route 1 traffic down to one lane for a brief time Friday afternoon, May 2 after responding to a report of a smoke alarm an East Main Street residence.

Searsport — Searsport firefighters responded to the report of a fire alarm at a residence located at 60 E. Main St. Friday afternoon, May 2, and saved a cat from the smoke-filled home.

Emergency personnel at the scene told The Republican Journal that the smoke was caused by a pot of food that was left unattended on a stove.

Searsport Fire Chief Andy Webster said no one was home at the time the smoke alarm went off, and that a neighbor called the report a possible fire.

"Everybody's fine," said Webster after clearing the scene just before 4 p.m.

Webster said firefighters gained access into the residence and found the cat, and Searsport ambulance attendants gave the animal oxygen because of the amount of smoke in the building.

Emergency crews reduced traffic flow to one lane on Route 1 for a brief time to allow firefighters to finish up their work at the scene, Webster said.

"Everything went as slick as a whip," said Webster.

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.

Staff Profile

Tanya Mitchell
207-338-3333 ext. 109
Email Me

Tanya has been a general news reporter in Waldo County since 1997.

 

Recent Stories by Tanya Mitchell