Former reentry center resident indicted on escape charge
Belfast — The man who escaped from the Belfast Reentry Center in early July and was captured in Massachusetts later that same month has been indicted on an escape charge.
The Waldo County District Attorney's Office said Wednesday, Aug. 20, that 23-year-old Tyler Malmstrom was indicted on one count of escape. The charge stems from his July escape when he walked off the grounds of the Belfast Reentry Center without permission, prompting a search by police in Knox and Waldo counties.
Malmstrom was completing the final five months of a sentence for his involvement in a bar fight in Knox County, according to previously published reports. At the time of his escape, police said Malmstrom left a note apologizing to the staff of the sheriff's offices in Knox and Waldo County, as well as to court staff and his family for his actions.
Members of the South Boston Police Fugitive Unit arrested Malmstrom at about 4:30 p.m. July 25. Sanford detectives learned on July 25 that Malmstrom probably was staying in the Boston area, and they contacted the Boston Police Fugitive Unit to coordinate the search. Four hours after contacting police in Boston, Malmstrom was seen leaving an apartment building in the area of Hyde Park, according to previously published reports.
Chief Deputy Jeff Trafton of the Waldo County Sheriff's Office said Malmstrom was returned to Maine Aug. 19 and is being held at the Knox County Jail. Trafton said Malmstrom was interviewed by detectives and indicated one of the reasons he left the reentry center was because he had charges pending against him from southern Maine.
Malmstrom told detectives he was concerned he would be spending more time in prison as a result of those pending charges, Trafton said, and left the reentry center to see his girlfriend and child.