Free Range fest takes a break
Belfast — The annual Belfast Free Range Music Festival will not be held this spring, but plans are for several Free Range Presents events in coming months and a full fest return in 2015.
The one-day whirlwind of contemporary music at multiple venues has grown exponentially each year since the fest’s debut in 2010; last year’s Free Range offered 34 acts plus a night-before performance. Meanwhile, while the volunteer base also has grown, the fest’s day-to-day organization has been handled by a crew of six people whose lives have taken on new challenges and responsibilities.
The hiatus will give the festival’s organizing crew an opportunity to rethink its logistics and bring new blood into the organization. A newsletter to supporters has put out a call to anyone in the community interested in becoming involved in the future of the festival. Music lovers who want to play a part in the Belfast Free Range Music Festival are encouraged to send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Festival director Megan Fournier said Jan. 30 she and her colleagues truly think this regrouping period will result in a stronger event.
"Postponing the next full fest until 2015 was a tough call to make, but it will allow for time to reorganize, re-energize and strategically plan for the future so that 2015 and beyond will be better than ever," she said.
A&E editor for Courier Publications, LLC
(207) 594-4401/4407, ext. 115
Dagney has been providing Courier coverage of the local arts scene since 1985 and has helmed the multi-paper A&E section since it debuted in 2003. She has been a local performing artist, community and professional, for almost 30 years and spent a decade writing, producing and announcing on-air for several Midcoast radio stations. When not in the NewsNest, Dagney likes to be in motion.