‘Greetings from Vacationland’
Belfast — Historic photographs from the Penobscot Marine Museum's "Greetings from Vacationland: The Postcard View" exhibit will be on display during January in the Belfast Co-op Café, 123 High St.
Tourists and postcards go together like lobster and butter; what better way to stay in touch with family and friends while on holiday and, at the same time, share with them some of the scenic views of the places being visited? This exhibit draws from the vast archive of the Eastern Illustrating & Publishing Co. Collection and depicts tourist destinations around Penobscot Bay.
Each photo has a caption that was researched and written by Belfast historian Liz Fitzsimmons. For more information about the Penobscot Marine Museum and its photo archives, visit PenobscotMarineMuseum.org.
In the photograph above, girls wearing their Sunday camp uniforms pose at Camp Tanglewood in Lincolnville on a summer day in the 1940s. They were attending the summer camp that the Bangor-Brewer YWCA ran from 1939 to 1972. During two-week sessions the campers, who came from all around Maine, enjoyed nature study, arts and crafts, swimming in the pond and exploring along the Ducktrap River and beach on Penobscot Bay. In the 1970s, the camp was used by the Bancroft School for emotionally disturbed children and then by the YACC (Young Adult Conservation Corps), which modernized the camp buildings. Since 1982, the University of Maine has run a 4-H camp at Tanglewood.
The stone steps the girls are sitting on are a legacy of the Civilian Conservation Corps, which built the camp between 1935 and 1939. The National Park Service worked with Maine Parks to develop a park on 1500 acres in Camden. The CCC constructed 48 buildings, including cabins, on the Tanglewood property; the entrance gate, toll house, picnic shelters, ski lodge and other structures in Camden Hills State Park; and trails, roads, steps and footbridges. They also planted 7000 native trees. The cabins and other buildings at Camp Tanglewood, 46 of which survive, were intended to lodge vacationers but were never used for that purpose.
The downtown Belfast Co-operative is open daily from 7:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. For more information, visit belfast.coop or call 338-2532.
Courier Publications’ A&E Editor Dagney C. Ernest can be reached at (207) 594-4401, ext. 115 or email@example.com.