Man 'singed' when motorcycle catches fire

By Ben Holbrook | May 24, 2013
Photo by: Ben Holbrook Crews battle a motorcycle fire on Back Searsport Road in Belfast Friday, May 24.

Belfast — A Searsport man escaped serious injury after the motorcycle he was riding burst into flames Friday, May 24.

Chief Mike McFadden of the Belfast Police Department said Lloyd Stover Jr. of Searsport had his arm singed by the flames, but refused medical treatment. McFadden said the fire destroyed the motorcycle, but Stover described it as an antique bike.

It was believed that a mechanical issue caused the motorcycle to catch on fire, McFadden said.

"I was like, 'holy cow,' something's burning over there," McFadden said of his reaction as he approached the scene of the fire.

Belfast Fire Chief Jim Richards said Stover was driving from Searsport to Belfast on Back Searsport Road shortly before noon when the bike began smoking. The operator pulled over and got off of the motorcycle before it was completely engulfed in flames.

"It may have singed the hair on his arm," Richards said of the fire.

Richards said he allowed the the fire to continue burning to make sure all of the gasoline was gone before it was towed away. He said firefighters were on scene about 20 minutes battling the blaze.

The motorcycle was insured, McFadden said.

Republican Journal reporter Ben Holbrook can be reached at 338-3333 or at bholbrook@courierpublicationsllc.com.

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.