MidCoast Family Dentistry is offering Free Oral Cancer screenings
Join us for a free oral cancer screening on April 15th from 5-6 to celebrate Oral Cancer Awareness Month. You do not need to be a MidCoast Family Dentistry patient. The appointments last approximately 10 minutes and are painless. Call 236-3100 to make an appointment.
Oral cancer is cancer of the mouth.
Oral cancer most commonly involves the lips or the tongue. It may also occur on the:
- Cheek lining
- Floor of the mouth
- Gums (gingiva)
- Roof of the mouth (palate)
Most oral cancers are a type called squamous cell carcinomas. These tend to spread quickly.
Smoking and other tobacco use are linked to most cases of oral cancer. Heavy alcohol use also increases your risk for oral cancer.
Other factors that may increase the risk for oral cancer include:
- Chronic irritation (such as from rough teeth, dentures, or fillings)
- Human papilloma virus (HPV) infection
- Taking medications that weaken the immune system (immunosuppressants)
- Poor dental and oral hygiene
Men get oral cancer twice as often as women do, particularly men older than 40.
Sore, lump, or ulcer in the mouth:
- May be a deep, hard-edged crack in the tissue
- Most often pale colored, but may be dark or discolored
- On the tongue, lip, or other area of the mouth
- Usually painless at first (may develop a burning sensation or pain when the tumor is advanced)
Other symptoms that may occur with oral cancer include:
For more information on this, please visit
MidCoast Family Dentistry offers dental services to all ages. We also treat head, neck and facial pain and sleep apnea. For more information about us, visit our website at: http://midcoastfamilydentistry.com/ and like us on Facebook for current news and promotions https://www.facebook.com/pages/MidCoast-Family-Dentistry/114190828634202?ref=hl.
We are conveniently located at 625 Rockland Street in Rockport, (near Rt. 17 & 90 intersections)
For an appointment please call 236-3100.