Hours: Wednesdays 2-4 p.m. July & August
Mussel Ridge Historical Society
The Mussel Ridge Historical Society (MRHS) in Owl’s Head began meeting in 1960. Its major project has been the protection and restoration of the Old Homestead, which is at 453 Ash Point Dr. You are cordially invited to visit our work in progress from 2 to 4 PM on Wednesdays in July through September.
The Homestead is the site of the MRHS’s annual potluck picnic, usually the 3rd Sunday in July. The picnic is free and open to everyone. The Society provides some food such as baked beans, hot dogs lemonade, Ice cream and attendees are asked to bring a side dish, appetizer or casserole to share. There are craft demonstrations, games for the young and young at heart, usually music and sometimes dancing. Watch Village Soup for details about the annual event.
A major project is to protect/restore the two remaining buildings in town that once served as one-room schoolhouses. The former Village School is across from the fire station and the former Head of the Bay School is at the corner of Ash Point and North Shore Drives. The latter is more commonly known as the Grange Hall.
Another project is a popular newsletter sent out quarterly via email and available at places around town such as the town office and the store in the village. If you would like to receive the newsletter via email as well as receive periodic updates of MRHS activities, send your email address to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The MRHS meets the second Wednesday of the month, usually at the Owl's Head Community Building at 7pm. Visitors are always welcome.
Brief History of Owl’s Head
Many believe Owl’s Head derived its name from sailors who in 1759 observed the tall headland in the lighthouse area, thinking that it looked like the neck and head of an owl. Others feel the name is of Indian origin expressed in their language by the word, "Mecadacut", meaning "Owl's Head".
Owl's Head was originally part of Thomaston and separated from South Thomaston in 1921. The first town meeting was held at the Village School across from the present fire station. There was always a great amount of sociability in Owl's Head, with dances, parties and other activities. Often stores were jointly operated with the post offices at Owl's Head Village and Ash Point, creating daily social activity as well as the passing along of information.
The beautiful lighthouse and beach areas drew tourists who usually arrived in Rockland by train or the Boston boat, often staying at Owl’s Head’s several inns and boarding houses. Cottages were built along the beautiful beach at Ash Point, Crescent Beach, Hendrickson's Point, Ginn Point, Holiday Beach and the Owl's Head harbor area where the Owl's Head Inn was located. The old Inn has been a private residence since the late 30’s.
Mussel Ridge Historical Society (MRHS) Preserving the History of Owl¹s Head & the Mussel Ridge Islands
PO Box 133, Owl¹s Head, ME 04854 email@example.com
Kay Dodge Chair 596-6879
Bonnie Post, Chair of School House Restoration Comm 594-9263