Off-duty firefighters help save garage from fire with garden hose
Belmont — A garage on Route 3 in Belmont caught fire during the evening of Aug. 20 and was saved by the quick actions of two off-duty firefighters who happened to be passing by.
Belmont Fire Chief Ron Harford said the owner of the garage was burning grease off a gas grill inside the garage. The fire from the grill spread to the wall of the garage, Harford said.
The passing off-duty firefighters saw the flames and used a garden hose to slow the spread of the fire until the Belmont Fire Department arrived. The fire was contained to the front portion of the garage thanks to their quick actions, Harford said.
Belmont, Morrill, Searsmont and Belfast responded to the fire with more than 20 volunteer firefighters, Harford said. The firefighters were able to extinguish the blaze quickly, saving the structure.
Traffic on Route 3 was slowed in the area of the fire, which was located just before the intersection with Route 131 in Belmont. The fire was extinguished and the scene cleared just after 5 p.m.
No one was injured in the fire.