Parking Lot Safety
To be safer in parking lots during the holidays and year-around, here are some safety tips:
- Choose Your Spot Carefully -- Do not park close to bushes, trees, walls, large vehicles, or any other obstruction that may provide a cover for criminals. At night, park in well-lit areas, ideally where others are coming and going.
- Keep Your Valuables Out of Site -- Hide or remove anything valuable from the vehicle. Tablets, laptops, smart phones and navigational systems are popular targets for car burglars. They are easy to steal and conceal. If possible, leave them at home -- or at least -- hide them out of sight. If you accumulate shopping bags during the trip, store them in a locked trunk.
- Lock-up -- All doors should be locked and all windows should be shut tight. Don't forget to lock the trunk if it doesn't lock automatically when you lock your doors. When returning to your vehicle, lock your doors immediately upon entering.
- Use Alarms -- Set your car alarm before leaving your vehicle. If you do not have one, consider having one installed. Alarm stickers and decals are great visible deterrents. Others include steering-wheel locks and brake-pedal locks. Even carrying simple items like a whistle, can be helpful to draw attention and ward off thieves.
- Be Alert -- Always be aware of your surroundings, when parking and returning to your vehicle. Keep your keys in hand when returning so you can enter your vehicle quickly. It is always a good idea to check your back seat before entering your vehicle to be sure no one hiding inside.
This information comes from our partners at The Hanover.
Always feel free to call your insurance agent with questions.
Allen Insurance and Financial is an employee-owned insurance, employee benefits, and financial services company with offices in Camden, Rockland and Southwest Harbor. Call 800-439-4311.