Police: Teen was not using cell phone at time of fatal crash

By Tanya Mitchell | Oct 17, 2012
Source: File image

Prospect — Police say the 16-year-old Stockton Springs boy who was killed in a car accident on Route 1A last month was not using his cell phone at the time of the collision.

Waldo County Chief Deputy Jeff Trafton said Deputy Ben Seekins checked the cell phone records of 16-year-old Owen Krause, but those records did not give any indication that Krause was using his cell phone at the time of the accident.

"We got the results of the cell phone inquiry back, and we found out he was not using his cell phone at the time of the accident and that he hadn't used it in quite a while," said Trafton.

Trafton said the investigating officer, Deputy Ben Seekins, is "very close" to wrapping up the crash probe and that he would likely list the reason for the crash as "undetermined" because there is little or no information indicating why Krause crossed the centerline on the morning of Sept. 19.

According to WCSO, eyewitnesses in a vehicle that was traveling behind the dump truck that collided with Krause's Lincoln sedan told police they saw the Lincoln suddenly veer into the lane of the oncoming truck prior to the crash.

The crash occurred near the intersection of Route 1A and Muskrat Farm Road in Prospect just after 7 a.m., when Krause reportedly collided with a dump truck registered to Clisham Construction of Winterport. Thomas Drew of Winterport, who was driving the dump truck, was treated at Waldo County General Hospital and released later the same day.

Seekins and additional deputies responded to the scene, according to the release, as did Maine State Police officers and members of the Stockton Springs and Prospect fire departments.

 

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.