Postponements pile up as snow continues to wreak havoc on schedules
The inclement weather that forced many Midcoast high school sports postponements on Thursday, Jan. 2 has carried into Friday, Jan. 3, meaning more postponed events throughout Knox, Waldo and part of Lincoln counties.
Snow, wind, below-zero temperatures and poor road conditions again have contributed to postponements.
As of Friday afternoon, only the Mount View with Maine Central Institute of Pittsfield boys and girls basketball games were still on the schedule to be played, with the Mustang boys hosting the Huskies at 6:30 p.m. in Thorndike and the Mustang girls at Pittsfield at 7 p.m.
Additionally, Camden Hills still will go to Black Mountain in Rumford for its Nordic ski event at 4 p.m., while the indoor track meet at Bowdoin College in Brunswick, set for 5 p.m, may or may not be canceled. However, Belfast and Mount View, the only local schools scheduled to participate, will not attend the meet.
The following is a breakdown of postponed or canceled events, with makeup dates and times included where available:
• Medomak Valley at Camden Hills girls basketball, postponed to Jan. 4 at 1 p.m.
• Oceanside at Waterville boys basketball, postponed to Feb. 1.
• Waterville at Oceanside girls basketball, postponed to Feb. 1.
• Searsport at Stearns boys basketball, postponed to Jan. 20 at 2:30 p.m.
• Searsport at Stearns girls basketball, postponed to Jan. 20 at 1 p.m..
• Vinalhaven at Buckfield boys basketball, postponed to Jan. 4, now will be a doubleheader at 1:30 and 6:30 p.m.
• Vinalhaven at Buckfield girls basketball, postponed to Jan. 4, now will be a doubleheader at noon and 5 p.m.
• Belfast at Messalonskee swimming, canceled.
• Redskin Wrestling Tournament at Sanford, with Belfast to participate, postponed to Jan 4. Two-day event now a one-day tourney. Weigh-in at 7 a.m. Jan. 4. Camden Hills also was to participate but the Windjammers will instead compete at Hermon at 11 a.m. on Jan. 4.