Register today for a free "Media Smart Youth" Workshop on April 13th!
The Penobscot Bay Y and Knox County Community Health Coalition, a local Healthy Maine Partnership, will host a free, informative workshop, “Media Smart Youth: Eat, Think and Be Active!” at the Teen Center on Wednesday, April 13 from 5:30—8:30 PM. The workshop is designed to help young people ages 11-13 and their parents understand the complex media world around them and how it can influence their health regarding nutrition and physical activity.
Did you know:
- The average 11-14 year old youth spends 6 hours and 45 minutes a day using media (this includes playing video games, listening to music, reading, using the computer, and watching TV, videos and DVDs).
- Each year, youth are exposed to 40,000+ television commercials—the majority of which are for food—primarily candy, cereal and fast food.
This workshop will help families to:
- Understand the media’s impact on food choices;
- Increase the healthy foods they provide;
- Limit the availability of sweet beverages, high fat and high density/low nutrient foods;
- Eat moderate portions;
- Support and enable family physical activity; and
- Support and enable reduced “screen time” for their children.
The workshop will be facilitated by Hank Lunn, M Ed, and will include a free supper for participants (from 5:30 to 6:00), followed by the workshop at 6:00. Seating is limited to 50 people (adults and youth ages 11 to 15) and registration is required. Call the Knox County Community Health Coalition today at 236-6313 to reserve your space.