Rockland Kiwanis Club Meeting Minutes for April 11, 2014
MONDAY MEETINGS WILL RESUME ON MONDAY 21 APRIL. Night Meetings at 6:00 PM will resume on the last Monday of the month at the Samoset.
President Katie Tarbox began the meeting with the ringing of the Kiwanis bell and led the Pledge of Allegiance. President-elect Jim Heavey provided the invocation. Guests present were Nancy Graham, who was initially scheduled to speak; and Carol Brown, who is a prospective new member.
Announcements & Committee Reports – dates in no particular order:
· The New England & Bermuda District Mid-winter [sic] Maine Conference will be Saturday 26 April at Camp Sunshine in Casco – See Katie for details
· Wednesday 16 April at 5:30 PM will find the Aktion Club hosting a dinner for the residents of the Methodist Conference Home
· Tuesday 15 April at 5:00 – Grand Raffle Committee Meeting at Kinney Rentals office in Thomaston
· Monday 14 April at 5:00 – Special Olympics Auction at Trackside Station in Rockland
· Sunday 18 May – Kiwanis Cupcake Challenge at Trackside Station in Rockland
· Saturday 17 May – Erin Donovan Show to benefit Kiwanis at Camden Opera House
· Marcia Whitten announced that the club’s scholarship committee has received 25 applications from high school students throughout Knox County
· The Oceanside East Key Club attended the annual New England & Bermuda District Key Club Convention in Springfield, MA, with Jane Thompson and Katie Tarbox as chaperones. Oceanside students participated in a number of competitions where individuals from Oceanside prevailed to win a secretary’s award; a poster award; an oratory award; and third place in the talent show. More than $30,000 was raised and donated by the nearly 1,000 Key Club students in attendance
There were no birthday or anniversary announcements Badge Fines: Jim Heavey and Marjorie Kinney 50/50: Wayne Keiderling’s ticket was drawn – there was no deck of cards so he will draw next week 50/50 Bonus: Cliff Blastow had the answer to the trivia question and won a scratch ticket. Having stolen an idea from the Augusta Kiwanis Club, President Katie Tarbox did a table sign-up sheet random drawing – Marcia Whitten’s name was drawn. Happy/Sad $$$: John Batty reported on Brenda Batty’s progress and was sad that he lost his keys in Bath; Marcia Whitten was happy for the business expo, she told a mouse-in-the-house story, and reported that she is being transferred to the Waldoboro branch of Rockland Savings Bank; Wayne Keiderling was feeling generous with his 50/50 winning’s and provided several happy dollars for Marcia Whitten, for his guest Nancy, for his good health, for winning the 50/50, for Dan Saucier – and then donated the rest to the ELIMINATE! Program; Dan Saucier was happy for our return to the Samoset, and is excited about this year’s Grand Raffle prizes; Cliff Blastow was happy for his guest Carol, for the nice weather, and for the albino deer that has been visiting his dooryard; Jim Heavey was happy that his daughter Katie is on her way to Tokyo, Japan, and happy that he didn’t have to follow Sumner Kinney in the happy/sad presentations; Sumner Kinney was happy that someone found his keys, and was happy for being back at the Samoset, happy for the business expo, and for the Red Sox; Greg Hamlin was sad that one of his relatives had her purse stolen; Katie Tarbox was happy for the return to the Samoset, the business expo, for secretary Greg’s good work, for her attendance at the Key Club Conference – although she was disappointed that the hotel in Springfield did not have Free WI-FI and she is not a very good bus rider – and she was happy for the Kiwanis Division #4 caucus at which Linda Wohl of the Augusta Club was elected as Lieutenant Governor-designate.
As there was no speaker, President Katie surprised the members with a game where the following members were randomly challenged with Maine state trivia questions: E.J. Sullivan; Vanessa Richards; Marjorie Kinney; Sumner Kinney; Dan Saucier; Cliff Blastow; Mark Curtis; Gordon Page; Marcia Whitten; and Wayne Keiderling. Each won a scratch ticket.
1:08 PM - There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned.
Respectfully submitted by Gordon Page
Thought for the week: The world is run by those who show up.
Come join us any Monday at noon at Archers on the Pier. We'd love to see you. Come share in the fun and laughter.
Our website can be found at http://www.rocklandkiwanis.org .
Our club officers are: President Katie Tarbox ; President Elect Jim Heavey; Vice President, Bill Batty, Jr.; Secretary Greg Hamlin; Treasurer Sumner Kinney; Immediate Past President Amy Shepard Pease
Our club directors are: Bill Batty, Jr., Shannon Kinney, Broo Temple, Carol Kelley, Marianne Masters, and Bobbie Wentworth