RSU 20 honors departing assistant superintendent, hears update on withdrawal process
Regional School Unit 20 directors honored Assistant Superintendent John McDonald and heard a brief update on withdrawal efforts during a meeting Tuesday, July 22.
McDonald was hired as the new superintendent for RSU 13 and will assume his new duties beginning Aug. 1. During the meeting, RSU 20 chair Tony Bagley presented McDonald with a plaque recognizing him for 10 years of service to the district.
Bagley thanked McDonald for his work and wished him well in his new career.
While the decision to leave RSU 20 was not an easy one, McDonald said his new role as superintendent of RSU 13 will present another challenge and step in his career.
During his tenure with RSU 20, McDonald served as director of curriculum and instruction in addition to his duties as assistant superintendent, and has also been the assistant principal of Troy Howard Middle School, according to previously published reports.
He also worked as a teacher at Monroe Elementary School, director of technology and assessment at Morse Memorial School in Brooks in RSU 3.
Bagley and Superintendent Brian Carpenter gave a brief update on the status of the withdrawal process for Belfast, Belmont, Morrill, Northport, Searsmont and Swanville. The board held a special meeting Thursday, July 17, in order to accept the withdrawal agreements and to authorize Bagley to sign the documents.
Since that meeting, Bagley said he has signed each of the agreements and Carpenter said the Maine Department of Education is now reviewing them.
“I'm comfortable with what I signed. It's what we agreed on,” Bagley said of the agreements.
The MDOE has previously indicated it will try to speed up the review process and provide feedback within 30 days of receiving the agreements as opposed to the 60 days allowed by law.
In other business:
The board of directors approved the appointment of Kent Hoffman to serve as the principal of Searsport District High School and Searsport District Middle School.