Serial sex offender indicted on new charges

By Stephen Betts | Mar 18, 2017

Belfast — A 69-year-old Searsmont man with a 36-year history of sexually assaulting girls and young women was indicted Thursday on five new charges.

Glenn Reed made his initial appearance Friday after being indicted Thursday by a Waldo County grand jury in Belfast. Reed was indicted for three counts of unlawful sexual touching, one count of unlawful sexual contact, and one count of assault, District Attorney Geoffrey Rushlau confirmed Saturday, March 18.

Reed has been in jail since Feb. 22 when he was arrested by the Waldo County Sheriff's Office for violating his probation for allegedly sexually assaulting the young woman named in the indictment. He is being held without bail at the Two Bridges Regional Jail in Wiscasset for the probation violation.

A hearing on that probation violation is scheduled for April 11 in the Maine District Court in Belfast.

Reed potentially could serve an additional seven years in prison — the remainder of his initial sentence of eight years — if he is found to have violated his probation from a March 2016 conviction for unlawful sexual contact. The new charges included in the indictment could also result in five or more years in prison if convicted.

An affidavit filed by the Sheriff's Office in court detailed the allegations against Reed for the newest charges.

A woman told a sheriff's department investigator on Feb. 22 that she was not feeling well and had a medical appointment in Bangor. She was unable to find anyone to take her and she eventually asked Reed, who is a family member.

On the way to the appointment, Reed repeatedly offered to pay her money for her to perform a sex act, according to the affidavit. The woman — who is in recovery from drug addiction — said Reed also offered her pills for the sex act. The woman refused.

On the way back from the medical appointment, the woman said she still felt ill and was in a fetal position when Reed sexually assaulted her, according to the police affidavit.

The woman said Reed had also sexually assaulted her the previous fall at his mobile home in Searsmont.

Reed's criminal record dates back to 1965.

The first sex offense occurred when, at age 33, he was charged with raping a 16-year-old girl in Lincolnville who had been walking home from the Center Store along Route 52 on a July evening in 1981. The girl, who was vacationing in Lincolnville, said Reed offered her a ride home. She accepted, but he refused to let her out of his vehicle, drove her to his home in Lincolnville and raped her, according to previously published reports.

The trial ended with a conviction in 1982, but the Maine Supreme Judicial Court overturned it in1983 on a 3-2 ruling, saying the trial judge erred by not allowing testimony from Reed that the girl was a voluntary social companion. A second trial that year ended with a deadlocked jury. The third trial ended in 1984 with a conviction. The state's highest court upheld that conviction in an August 1984 ruling and Reed served nearly three years in prison for the rape.

While fighting the rape charge, Reed was charged, and later convicted, of arson for setting a fire to collect insurance money to pay for his legal expenses. He was also convicted of tampering with a witness for arranging for inmates to try to silence a witness in the arson case.

In 1987, shortly after he got out of prison, Reed was charged with three counts of gross sexual misconduct and one count of unlawful sexual contact. He was alleged to have sexually assaulted a 13-year-old girl while taking her to Penobscot Bay Medical Center in Rockport to have casts removed from both her arms.

A Knox County jury convicted Reed of those charges in December 1987.

Reed appealed his conviction and was freed on bail 10 months later, pending the ruling on the appeal. In September 1989, a divided Maine Supreme Court overturned the verdict, ruling the trial judge erred by allowing testimony from a child psychologist who told jurors the victim exhibited signs of having been sexually abused by a family member. The justices ruled it was not expert testimony that could be supported by empirical evidence.

District Attorney William Anderson announced in August 1990 that Reed would not be retried because the girl retracted her statements and claimed the assaults did not occur.

In March 2013 Reed was arrested after he sexually assaulted a teenage store clerk in Belfast. He told the girl he was having a bad day and asked for a hug. When the clerk agreed, he groped her and made sexual comments, according to previously published reports.

He was convicted in June of that year for unlawful sexual touching, assault and disorderly conduct. He was sentenced to six months in jail and placed on probation for a year.

In December 2014, he was arrested and charged with gross sexual assault and unlawful sexual contact after a then-14-year-old girl said Reed assaulted her during the summer of 2011 at a trailer in Searsmont after he provided her with marijuana. The girl revealed the assault in an essay she wrote in school.

When he was later indicted, he was charged only with the lesser offense of unlawful sexual contact. His trial on that charge ended in a mistrial when a defense witness mentioned Reed was on the state sex offender registry list. The trial judge had earlier barred any mention of Reed's prior convictions.

The trial was rescheduled for March 2016, but just before the trial was to begin, he pleaded no contest and was sentenced to eight years in prison with all but one year suspended for the unlawful sexual contact charge. He was also placed on probation for three years. A no contest plea results in a conviction.

Comments (3)
Posted by: Maggie Trout | Mar 18, 2017 18:56

The Maine Supreme Court seems partial to the idea that females deserve what they get.  What laws, what parts of the legal system do people need to insist be changed so that guys like this get life with no parole.  And where are the non-victim people screaming for "social justice" on this?  Even one letter written about this sanctioned  horror?



Posted by: SID LEACH | Mar 18, 2017 18:27

these are the ones we hear about....... there is a lot of OTHERS.. that haven't come forward...

 



Posted by: Ron Pendleton | Mar 18, 2017 15:50

This predator should have been taken out to pasture DECADES ago, he's left a LONG line of victims.



If you wish to comment, please login.