Stockton Springs blaze destroys garage, damages trailer

By Tanya Mitchell | Jan 04, 2013
Photo by: Tanya Mitchell Firefighters from Stockton Springs, Searsport and Prospect battle a garage in the vicinity of Perry's Store Friday afternoon, Jan. 4.

Stockton Springs — A fire destroyed a garage and caused extensive damage to a neighboring trailer Friday afternoon, Jan. 4.

The fire broke out in the garage, which was situated next to a trailer located near Perry's Store.

Stockton Springs Assistant Fire Chief Vern Thompson said no one was hurt in the fire, but the trailer is no longer inhabitable. Thompson said Darren Shute is the owner of the property, but he did not know who was residing in the trailer.

Thompson said the likely cause of the fire are electrical space heaters, which he said were being used as part of an effort to thaw water pipes that had frozen due to the frigid temperatures last week.

The fire had spread through much of the garage when fire crews arrived, Thompson said.

"They lost everything that was in it," said Thompson. "It was already gone when the fire department arrived."

Firefighters from Searsport and Prospect assisted the Stockton Springs Fire Department. Stockton Springs Ambulance attendants responded to the fire call, as did officers with the Searsport Police Department and Maine State Police.

Journal reporter Ben Holbrook contributed to this story.

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.