Student suspended after making threat at Mt. View Complex

School officials, police determine threat not credible
By Ben Holbrook | Dec 20, 2012

Thorndike — The Mount View Complex was put under a “lock-out” Wednesday, Dec. 19, after a student allegedly made a threat that caused concern for administrators.

Superintendent Heather Perry said in an email, the student, who was not identified, was suspended, Tuesday, Dec. 18, as a result of the threat that was made. Perry declined to comment on the nature of the threat beyond that “the school received some information that caused some alarm.”

The Mount View Complex is comprised of a high school, middle school and elementary school.

Chief Deputy Jeff Trafton of the Waldo County Sheriff's Office said the threat was made by a 16-year-old male student who was making statements about perpetrating a shooting at a Wal-Mart.

Trafton said the student has some behavior issues and was taken to Waldo County General Hospital for a medical evaluation. He said no charges would be filed against the student.

"I think the situation was handled very well," Trafton said.

The lock-out involved making sure all outer doors were secured until officials were able to gather more information regarding the threat. Perry said the lock-out was in effect from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Wednesday.

During the lock-out, Perry said school administrators worked with officers from the Waldo County Sheriff’s Office to further investigate the threat. Officials eventually determined “no real threat was possible,” Perry said.

Once it was determined the complex was secure, the lock-out was lifted and the schools resumed their normal schedules. In her email, Perry said she did not believe many students were even aware of the threat against the complex. Even though the threat was determined to be false, Perry said given the events in Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut officials decided to proceed cautiously.

A message left with Regional School Unit 3 School Board Chairman Phil Shibles was not immediately returned.

The lock-out preceded a statement from Maine State Police Spokesman Steve McCausland who issued a press release earlier in the day, Thursday, Dec. 20, stating that no “credible threats were made against any Maine schools."

Perry said in her email she was very impressed with how staff handled the lock-out and it reinforced her belief that the Regional School Unit 3 schools are well-equipped and trained to handle an emergency situation.

Republican Journal reporter Ben Holbrook can be reached at 338-3333 or at bholbrook@courierpublicationsllc.com.

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.