Two-year-old battling serious infection
Hailey Mello, a 23-month-old girl from Stockton Spring is in a fight against Invasive Streptococcus A. Monday, July 23, after she suddenly became ill on Friday at daycare, according to family friend Holly Calhoun.
Hailey's condition quickly worsened and she was flown to Eastern Maine Medical Center. Her blood work came back positive for a bacterial infection. After further testing and culturing, it was determined it was Streptococcus A.
A few others Hailey interacted with have also been diagnosed with Strep Throat.
The disease has caused tissue destruction and doctors have determined that Hailey's right leg must be amputated.
Anglers Seafood Restaurant in Searsport has stepped up in support of Hailey and her family. They will be donating 10 percent of all proceeds from sales this Thursday to the Mello/Mansir Family. Angler's is open 11 a.m. to 8 p.m.