Waldo business owner bouncing back after fire destroys home
Waldo — A Waldo business owner is getting back on his feet after a fire destroyed his home Wednesday, Aug. 7.
Dave Stover, the father of Nate Stove who owns Stover Boys Auto, said his son applied a high build urethane finish on the floors in his home on Aug. 6, located at 116 Moosehead Trail, when he left for the evening to stay with his father.
Stover said Nate wrapped the urethane applicator in a plastic bag before leaving for the evening so that he would be able to use it to apply another coat of finish the next day. After both men went to bed for the evening, Stover said he was awakened early the next morning by a loud bang.
Initially, Stover said he wondered why someone would be firing a gun in the early morning hours. However, he said he then heard another noise that neighbors later described as sounding like fireworks were going off.
He said the noises that sounded like fireworks were caused by ammunition firing as it exploded. Stover said his son had an extensive gun collection that was destroyed in the fire.
By that time, Nate, who is a member of the Waldo Volunteer Fire Department, was called out to respond to a structure fire. Dave said when he stepped outside of his home, which is nearby to his son's home, the horizon was glowing.
Stover said firefighters from Belfast, Brooks, Morrill and Waldo responded to battle the blaze. He said they were spraying water onto the home until about 4 a.m. but the house couldn't be saved.
When he went to his son's home, Stover said a steel beam that held up the deck at the residence was intact, but was “quite bent” due to the heat from the flames. A snowmobile that was parked in the yard was also so badly damaged by the fire that Stover said he was only able to recognize what it was because the skis on the front of the machine were still partially intact.
Stover said the garage Nate runs his business out of was slightly damaged by the fire, but it was able to be fixed to allow the business to open within a couple of days. However, the phone line to the business was routed through the house and was destroyed by the fire. Stover said as a result, when people tried to call the business they would get a busy signal.
The telephone cable has since been repaired, Stover said. The home was insured, he said.
Republican Journal reporter Ben Holbrook can be reached at 338-3333 or at email@example.com.
Ben Holbrook is a reporter for The Republican Journal covering general news.
Recent Stories by Ben Holbrook
Dec 09, 2013
Dec 07, 2013
Dec 05, 2013
Dec 04, 2013
Dec 04, 2013