What you need to know about Carbon Monoxide
The Center for Disease Control and Prevention offers these Dos and Don'ts for preventing carbon monoxide poisoning:
- Do have your heating system, water heater and any other gas, oil, or coal burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician every year.
- Do install a battery-operated CO detector in your home and check or replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall. If the detector sounds, leave your home immediately.
- Do seek prompt medical attention if you suspect CO poisoning and are feeling dizzy, light-headed, or nauseous.
- Don’t use a generator, charcoal grill, camp stove, or other gasoline or charcoal-burning device inside your home, basement, or garage or near a window outdoors.
- Don’t run a car or truck inside a garage attached to your house, even if you leave the door open.
- Don’t burn anything in a stove or fireplace that isn’t vented.
- Don’t heat your home with a gas oven.
During heating season, it's important to review what you need to know about carbon monoxide. For information, visit the Center for Disease Control and Prevention's website at http://www.cdc.gov/.