While the potential for wind power development gathered steam in Jackson, Northport residents blew off a proposal that would have placed wind turbines in their community this month.

Jackson residents enacted a moratorium earlier in the year in response to proposals to construct wind towers along Mount Harris and Ricker Ridge. The project, which would have run through Jackson as well as Thorndike and Dixmont, would have been sited on about 300 acres of town-owned land. In its effort to create an ordinance to govern how and where wind-power projects could be developed in town, the Planning Board opened the process up to the public with the intention of gathering input on the draft ordinance this month. At the time, Planning Board Chairman Brenda Dennison, who is also Jackson’s town clerk, said the board’s goal in holding the workshop was to get people involved while the ordinance was still being developed.

In Northport, by a margin of more than nine to one, residents voted at a special town meeting not to hire consultants who would have pursued grants and other funding sources for a community wind project. Residents there were asked to vote on whether or not to appropriate $50,000 from the town’s fund balance to secure the services of Ra Power Solutions to help the town with the project. A week earlier, representatives from Ra Power pitched their proposal to erect two to five wind turbines on town-owned land near the transfer station on Nebraska Road. Though they offered no guarantee, they expressed optimism that they could help the town secure funding to make the proposed wind project a reality.

August was a difficult month for horses and their owners as the Eastern Equine Encephalitis virus made its appearance in Waldo County. The disease, which first appeared in early August after a horse in Troy was euthanized due to complications from EEE, resulted in the death of 14 horses statewide and four confirmed EEE-related horse deaths in Waldo County. EEE, which is transmitted to both humans and horses through the bite of an infected mosquito, caused locals to take precautions such as avoiding mosquito-heavy areas, using additional bug spray and getting their horses vaccinated against the disease. Prior to the start of the annual Common Ground Country Fair in Unity the following month, event organizers from Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association sent letters out to all horse exhibitors alerting them to the EEE threat.

Severe storms, flooding and landslides throughout the summer caused an estimated half-million dollars in damages to public infrastructure in Waldo County. This month, the Federal Emergency Management Agency declared the state of Maine a disaster area, naming Waldo among eight counties eligible for federal aid. The state did not initially solicit damage estimates, but Waldo and Oxford counties submitted figures anyway. The combined amounts were not enough to warrant a disaster declaration, but they were enough make the state put out a belated call to all 16 counties. In the end, damages in Maine hit the $1.8 million mark.

The weather was blamed for a horrific accident at Acadia National Park that took the life of 7-year-old Clio Axelrod of New York. Simone Pelletier, 12, of Belfast survived the accident after she and six other onlookers at Thunder Hole were swept into the water by a huge wave that resulted from the surge of Hurricane Bill. Three additional Waldo County teens, Kailey Walko, 16, and Greg Clark,14, both of Belfast, and Anthony Allen, 17, of Belmont also suffered injuries from being hit by the wave.

The month had its share of positive headlines, too, with the opening of the new playground at Belfast City Park. The new 6,000-square-foot natural playground was triple the size of the utility-pole-and-tire structure that stood on the site for two decades before it was demolished this spring. More than 100 children and their families turned out to run, climb and slide at the city’s newest play area.

Hundreds of people danced to live music, scaled a climbing wall, took hula hoops for a spin and toasted marshmallows at the first-ever street party that took place in downtown Belfast. The Monday-night festival took over the downtown as shops stayed open late and crowds enjoyed the fun of the Drum and Rabble-led parade, played games and socialized well into the evening. Organizer Mike Hurley said the positive response to the inaugural event could mean a repeat performance this coming summer.