The Nov. 3 election race for two open City Council seats was a hot one this year. The Ward 3 race was tight, with Eric Sanders edging out Mike Dassatt 1,254 to 1,146. The race in Ward 4 was being run by three candidates, including incumbent Jan Anderson and challengers Jon Clapp and Mike Hurley. Hurley, a former city mayor, bested the pack and was returned to city government, garnering 1,185 votes over Anderson’s 837 and Clapp’s 751.

Morrill voters approved the sale of liquor in their town, which until Nov. 3 only allowed the sale of beer and wine.

The historic Gothic building in downtown Belfast received new copper roofing on its seven dormers this month. The building has been on the market since 2006.

City voters followed a statewide trend, opting to vote by absentee ballot in lieu of heading out to polling places Nov. 3. While the numbers didn’t touch the high number of absentee ballots cast in the 2008 presidential election, the writing was on the wall that increasing numbers of voters liked the convenience of casting votes by absentee ballot.

Local lobstermen continued to feel the pain of low prices for their hard-earned catch, prompting some to pull their traps early and call it a year.

Searsport was able to put a grant to good use this month, adding an officer and a cruiser to its police force.

City Mayor Walter Ash was sworn in for a second term, after running unopposed in this month’s election.

VillageSoup’s new online platform debuted Nov. 12, continuing the company’s focus on community and encouraging contributors to share opinions and announcements, shop for goods and services and learn of news happening locally.

In a move to avoid a trial, Belfast wife and mother Amber Cummings changed her plea to guilty in the domestic manslaughter death of her husband, James Cummings, a year earlier. The plea was the result of an agreement with the state, which recommended she be sentenced to eight years in prison with all but one year suspended and six years of probation. Cummings is scheduled to appear in court at the beginning of the new year, when a judge will determine her final sentence.

U.S. Coast Guard crewman Stephen Hatch, who, along with four others, rescued a Belfast 12-year-old from the ocean after a rogue wave pulled her and others off a rock in Acadia National Park, was honored for his efforts and personally thanked by the family of Simone Pelletier. The USCG crew was also able to pull a New York father out of the water, but the man’s 7-year-old daughter didn’t make it out alive.

The Yankee Clipper Motel, the third of three commercial properties to go under the gavel in a month, sold at public auction for just under $200,000 to a new owner with plans to refurbish and re-open the lodging establishment.

In yet another state belt-tightening move, the Midcoast learned that the State Police Troop D barracks in Thomaston, which serves troopers patrolling Knox, Waldo, Sagadahoc and portions of Kennebec and Cumberland counties, was slated for closure.

Stanley Ward, 22, of Belfast was arrested and charged with robbing, kidnapping and attempting to murder an elderly city woman two days before Thanksgiving. The woman escaped, help was summoned and she is expected to survive her injuries. Ward’s court case is pending.

A late night fire Nov. 22 destroyed Liberty Trading Post, a Route 3 landmark.

Jackson residents learned of a proposed wind-power ordinance this month, crafted by members of the planning board and members of a wind power subcommittee.