In a competitive game that lasted 40 minutes, the Belfast Area High School girls basketball team came up a few points shy of winning its second game of the season, this time against Lincoln Academy of Newcastle Monday night.

The Lions (1-5) fought through four eight-minute regulation quarters and two four-minute overtime periods but, in the end, were grounded 38-34 by the visiting Eagles (3-5).

The game was a makeup from Saturday, when that scheduled contest was postponed due to heavy snow.

In the first half Monday, Belfast was at a bit of a loss. The Eagles held 5-3 and 13-11 leads after the first two quarters, but the Lions kept at it. Belfast came back in the third quarter and faced a 20-19 deficit at the break, but rallied in the fourth stanza for a 24-24 tie at the end of regulation.

Lexi Nelligan took the offensive lead for the Lions with 13 points, followed by Whitney Cross with six; Megan Curtis and Kali Doolan, each four; Morgan Mansfield, three; Kelsey Woodbury, two; and Makayla Cummings and Caroline Carr, both one.

Cummings (4 rebounds, 3 assists, 3 steals), Cross (5 rebounds, 4 steals), Nelligan (4 rebounds, 4 steals), Carr (5 rebounds, 2 assists), Curtis (4 rebounds), Doolan (2 assists, 2 steals), Mansfield (2 rebounds, 2 assists), Rauch (3 rebounds) and Woodbury (3 steals) were statistical leaders for the hosts.

For Lincoln Academy, Laura Soohey led with 12 points, followed by Marni Jones and Kassie Lincoln, both with eight; and Kathy Bolster and Anna Budrow, each five.

Belfast made 8-of-14 (57 percent) from the foul line, while the Eagles were 13-of-24 (54 percent).

The first overtime went back and forth. Then, with 52 seconds left, Nelligan scored to give the Lions a 29-28 lead that they tried to maintain for the win. However, the Eagles had a different idea and tied the game with a foul shot to force a second overtime.

The second overtime started much like the first, with a little scoring from both squads with small leads and ties. It was not until 1:45 remained in the second overtime that Lincoln Academy took a decisive lead. The score was 33-32 for the Eagles when Lincoln Academy netted a hoop to give the visitors a 35-32 edge.

The Eagles tallied another point on Jones’ foul shot to give them a 36-32 advantage. Then, with 19 seconds left, Jones talled two additional points to complete the Eagles’ scoring.

Despite the six-point deficit, the Lions did not give up. They kept playing hard and, with less than two seconds left, Cross converted a hoop to account for the 38-34 final score.

Click for more photos from the Lincoln Academy at Belfast game.

Village NetMedia Sports Reporter Frederick Freudenberger can be reached at 207-594-4401 or by e-mail at