A family of four was left homeless Jan. 11 when fire destroyed their Harris Road residence.

No one was home when the fire broke out, according to Stockton resident Misty Day. Day said her brother and sister-in-law, Jay and Leanne Temple, lived at the residence along with their two daughters, 12-year-old Sierra and 10-year-old Destiny.

The fire was reported just before 9:30 a.m. Tuesday. Firefighters from Stockton Springs, Prospect and Searsport responded to the scene, but they found upon arrival that they could not save the house.

“It’s gone,” said Stockton Springs Assistant Chief Vern Thompson later that day. “It was gone when we rolled in.”

Day said the Temples had lived there for about a year and a half, and that they lost everything in the fire, including their vehicle that was parked near the house. The family also lost almost all their pets in the fire. Day said three dogs and two birds all died, while a cat escaped but has not been recaptured yet.

“We’ve seen the cat,” she said. “We just have not been able to catch it yet, because it’s scared.”

Leanne Temple was not home when the fire broke out because she has been in the hospital with pancreatitis, according to Day. She said the other three family members were staying with relatives in Winterport for the time being.

Day said the family is gladly accepting donations, and that men’s and women’s clothing would be especially appreciated. The family is also looking for an affordable vehicle, as Jay and Leanne Temple need it to get to their jobs.

Anyone who would like to help the Temples may call Day at 567-3862. The Red Cross did contact the family following the fire, and a benefit supper is being planned.

Day said the Temples did not have insurance, and she is unsure if their landlord had any insurance, either.

Investigators from the Maine State Fire Marshal’s Office were called to the scene following the fire, but Thompson said the home was so extensively damaged that a cause could not be determined.

No firefighters were injured while fighting the fire, and some of them remained on scene until mid-afternoon Tuesday.