Fire heavily damaged a storage building Feb. 13, and destroyed approximately $30,000 worth of items that were stored inside.

Thorndike Fire Chief Peter Quimby said the fire at 1096 Dolloff Road (which runs along the Knox-Thorndike town line) was reported around 3 p.m. by Eric Bryant, who owns the building.

“He was there and discovered the fire,” said Quimby of Bryant, “and then he called 911.”

In addition to firefighters from Thorndike, crews from Unity, Brooks and Freedom responded to the fire. Quimby estimated there were at least 25 firefighters at the scene, and he said the Troy Fire Department was placed on standby for Unity while they were in Knox. The town of Knox does not have its own fire department.

Quimby said the fire at the storage building, which he described as a Quonset hut-type structure, was “going pretty well when we first got there.” He said the fire started in a three-phase electrical panel at the back end of the building.

Firefighters, who were on scene for a couple of hours, managed to keep the flames from spreading to a nearby barn and apartment.

Quimby said Bryant did not have insurance on the building that burned. He added that the building could be salvaged, but that it would require a lot of work to repair the damage. Quimby said the building used to house a steel fabrication business, but that more recently it has been used as storage space.

All the contents of the building were lost, according to Quimby. He said the contents included a bucket truck, a boat, two personal watercraft, an all-terrain vehicle, a riding lawnmower and steel fabrication equipment. Quimby said Bryant estimated the value of the destroyed contents at $30,000. He said he did not know how much the building was valued at.

Quimby said it was “very clear” to him that the fire had started in the electrical panel, and that as such it was not necessary to call the fire marshal’s office. He did, however, contact the Department of Environmental Protection because of concern over fuel that had leaked from some of the items stored in the building.

A DEP official met with Quimby at the scene the morning after the fire and determined that there was no contamination, according to the fire chief.