A Searsmont man is faced with several charges after he led five police agencies on a three-county chase and also drove through three spike mats before stopping in Waldoboro.

Around 6 p.m. March 6, Waldo County Sheriff’s Deputy James Greeley was on patrol in Morrill when he saw Raymond N. Porter, 32, of Searsmont driving. Greeley had requested a warrant for Porter’s arrest on March 4 for operating after suspension after he had witnessed the man driving on a different occasion, according to a press release from the Waldo County Sheriff’s Office.

Porter has been charged with driving to endanger, three counts of passing a roadblock, failure to stop for an officer, eluding an officer and operating after suspension.

Porter went into the Morrill General Store and rather than have a confrontation with Porter in the store, Greeley went down the road and waited for him to leave, according to the press release. After a few minutes had passed Greeley checked and Porter had left the store, traveling north on Route 131.

Deputy David Mushrall and Sgt. James Porter also joined in the search for the man’s gray Dodge truck. Approximately 45 minutes later, while on a traffic stop, James Porter observed Raymond Porter turn onto Weymouth Road. The man also passed both Greeley and Mushrall near Rowe Hill Road. When signaled to stop, he failed to yield and pull over, the press release stated.

The three officers began a pursuit that wound its way through Waldo and Knox counties and ended in Lincoln County. The highest speed was 72 mph and, according to Chief Deputy Bob Keating, the majority of the time speeds were between 50 and 60 mph.

Raymond Porter drove into the ditch to avoid hitting a spike mat set up at the Searsmont Village end of New England Road and drove through a second spike strip set up by Camden Police Officers Allen Weaver and Sgt. Jason Hall on Route 105 in Hope. At the Hope roadblock, four spikes were picked up by the man’s vehicle, but seemed to have no effect, according to the press release.

Knox County Sheriff’s Deputy Sgt. Jacob Boyington and Maine State Police Trooper Jeremiah Wesbrock joined the chase after the Hope roadblock. The chase was turned over to Maine State Police, but Waldo deputies continued to follow.

“Due to our previous contacts with Porter, we were aware of his volatile and unpredictable nature. Waldo County deputies followed at a safe distance to provide assistance if Porter stopped,” the press release stated.

Waldoboro police set up a roadblock on Route 1, east of Moody’s Diner. At that point, two front tires in Raymond Porter’s vehicle were spiked, but despite the tires going flat, he kept riding on the rims at speeds up to 70 mph, according to the press release.

The man turned into an Irving gas station on Route 1 in Waldoboro and stopped. According to the press release, he refused to show his hands and get out of the car.

“The windows of his truck were smashed with a baton, the door unlocked and then he was removed from the truck and taken into custody,” the press release stated.

Raymond Porter was treated at the scene for minor cuts to his hands because of the broken glass.

He was taken to Two Bridges Regional Jail in Wiscasset, where he remained as of March 8.