Workers began demolishing the 37-year-old McDonald’s restaurant on Belmont Avenue March 16 in preparation for an updated restaurant to be built on the same site.

The replacement is “part of an ongoing effort to revitalize existing restaurants,” according to a letter submitted by McDonald’s representatives during the permitting process in 2009.

Early plans showed the new restaurant filling nearly the exact footprint of the existing structure with a more contemporary-looking facade. A patio was indicated where, until recently, there was a playground, though a McDonald’s representative told VillageSoup last year that the restaurant’s operator, D&L Management of Bangor, could choose to add a playground later.

Douglas Quagliaroli of D&L Management did not immediately return calls from VillageSoup.

At the rear of the building, the plans indicate that a second ordering station would be added to the drive-through service, a modification that the McDonald’s representative said is standard to rebuilt restaurants.

Plans show less pavement and more green space in the landscaping surrounding the new building. A U-turn near Belmont Avenue would be added to recirculate traffic within the parking lot.

A representative of McDonald’s told VillageSoup last year that the restaurant would be closed for around 110 days, though a worker onsite Tuesday said the plan was to reopen in 90 days.