Perhaps spurred on by the bright sunshine and warmer-than-average temperatures outside, voters here moved through the warrant for the annual town meeting March 20 in what some attendees speculated was record time.

In the hour and 15 minutes it took them to get through the 36-article warrant, though, voters approved a revised wind turbine ordinance, gave their fire chief a raise and re-elected Selectman John Work.

After electing Gary Stacey as the meeting’s moderator, deciding who would serve as selectman for the next three years was the next order of business. Work, the incumbent, and Debbie Ludden — two individuals who have often found themselves on opposite sides of wind-related issues — were the only ones nominated for the position.

Debbie Ludden, who is a sister-in-law to Selectwoman Cindy Ludden, spoke from the floor and said she thought Work was a “good man” who had “done a lot for the town of Jackson.”

“I’m not trying to discredit that at all,” she said.

Citing her own professional background, though, Debbie Ludden said she thought it was time for a change. She said she thought she could do a good job helping to manage the town budget, with the cooperation of the other two selectmen.

Work thanked what he called his “re-election campaign crew,” who prior to the meeting had placed plywood signs around town encouraging residents to vote for him. Many of the signs played on Work’s last name, with slogans such as “John Work works for you” and “Town business — it’s working.”

“With my own budget, I do a pretty good job at making something out of nothing,” Work said. “I hope to continue to be able to do the same for the town.”

The only other speaker before ballots were cast was Jim Shue, who said the town was “lucky to have two hardworking candidates” and that he wasn’t looking to “run down one person or run up another.”

Shue then thanked Work for his service on the board, and estimated that through a combination of cutting taxes and securing funding from state and federal sources Work had helped save the average Jackson taxpayer about $500 over a five- or six-year period.

“That’s more than chicken feed,” said Shue, who concluded by opining that if people valued their pocketbooks they should “return John Work to work.”

After 143 voters had cast their ballots, results were announced: Work won with 78 votes, compared to Debbie Ludden’s 63. Two ballots were ruled inadmissible.

In the next article, voters opted to give any selectman serving the third year of a term a $500 raise, from $2,500 to $3,000.

Another pay adjustment was made on article 5, when voters re-elected Don Nickerson Sr. as fire chief. Selectmen had recommended setting Nickerson’s pay at $1,000, the same as it was last year. When one resident asked if that was enough, there was some laughter in the room, and Nickerson commented that it was “basically a volunteer position,” when that amount is divided by the number of hours required.

An attempt to double the chief’s pay to $2,000 failed when Nickerson said he didn’t feel comfortable with that amount, “not with the way the economy is right now.” Voters approved giving him a $500 raise, increasing his pay to $1,500.

As elections of municipal officers progressed, each post saw only one person nominated (with the exception of the selectman’s seat). Anywhere from eight to 12 people were casting ballots for each position, though, prompting a comment from Cindy Ludden.

“All it takes is one vote, people — the sun is shining,” she said.

In addition to Work and Nickerson, other incumbents were re-elected (without opposition) to their respective posts: Don Nickerson Jr. as both civil emergency preparedness director and sexton, Hazen Tibbetts as road commissioner, Colleen Barrows as the town’s representative to the Unity Area Regional Recycling Center and Lisa Cooley as the town’s SAD 3 school board member.

In another effort to speed things up, Work suggested taking articles 10 through 13 as a block. All of the articles were standard articles that appear on the warrant with the same wording each year. Work’s suggestion was adopted, and the articles were approved.

A suggestion from Cindy Ludden that article 35 be moved up in the warrant was also adopted. Article 35 asked if townspeople would repeal the existing wind turbine ordinance approved earlier this year and replace it with an amended version. The amended version incorporated a number of suggestions from town attorney Bill Kelly, which were detailed on a four-page handout available at the meeting.

Shue, who had spoken in opposition to the ordinance at earlier meetings, said he didn’t “see the need for any big discussion” on the amended ordinance, as he characterized the changes as a legal matter. It was also pointed out that even if the revised ordinance were not accepted, the original ordinance would remain in effect.

Louise Shorette, an alternate member of the town’s planning board, reiterated points made in the printed material available to voters at the meeting — that in the revised ordinance, “no changes were made to the setback, noise or shadow flicker standards.” The changes, she said, had to do with adding definitions and clarifying some of the other language in the ordinance.

The revised ordinance was approved on a show-of-hands vote.