A Piper Stream Lane trailer is considered a complete loss after an electric stove caught the wall of the home on fire early on March 31.

The Belfast Fire Department responded to the home at 23 Piper Stream Lane, in the Piper Stream Mobile Home Park (formerly Gibbs Trailer Park), at about 12:25 a.m. The trailer, which measures 14 feet by 20 feet, is owned by Susan and Robert Day.

Robert Day was home at the time and was having some problems with an electric stove, so he dragged it outside, according to Belfast Fire Chief Jim Richards.

However, the wall was scorched and fire traveled up the outside wall of the trailer, into the insulation and ceiling and spread in both directions, Richards said. The chief said the trailer was a total loss; Day was not injured.

About 15 firefighters and three engines responded to the call and were on scene, in the pouring rain, for about three hours.

“We poured about 6,000 gallons of water on the fire and the heavens poured about 5,000 gallons on us,” Richards said.