Three Belfast Area High School students were seriously injured and two remain hospitalized after their car crashed into a tree at about 8:15 p.m. May 14.

Belfast Police Chief Jeffrey Trafton said the boys — one 16-year-old and two 17-year-olds — were driving on Back Searsport Road when the 17-year-old driver reportedly attempted to avoid another car that was driving in the opposite direction in their lane. Because of their ages, the names of the boys are being withheld.

According to Trafton, the accident was “pretty serious.”

“The boys were hurt pretty badly,” he said.

Trafton said police were continuing their investigation of the case and had called Maine State Police to help reconstruct the accident. According to Trafton, there were no indications that drugs or alcohol were involved. Police said the 2001 Daewoo the boys were driving in was totaled and that no information had been gathered regarding the second car that was reportedly driving in the wrong lane.

The three teenagers were taken to Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor. According to Belfast Area High School Principal Butch Arthers, all three boys suffered internal injuries — one more severe than the others. One of the boys had broken ribs and there was speculation, Arthers said, that another may have broken his pelvis.

One of the boys was released May 18 and will be taking time off from school to heal, according to Arthers, who visited the teenagers and their families at the hospital May 16. He also said that two of the boys remained at the hospital. One of the two, he said, is well on his way to recovery.

The other boy still at EMMC suffered considerably worse internal injuries than the other two, Arthers said, but he has been responsive, brain tests have come back normal and there are no spinal cord or neck injuries.

“As a result, his parents and doctor are very optimistic about a full recovery,” he said. “First responders took very good care of the boys and doctors say the EMTs’ immaculate performance may have saved their lives.”