Two new bronze sculptures have been installed on the grounds of Penobscot Marine Museum, adding to the appeal of an already attractive downtown campus. Depicting a large ship’s wheel and a huge cod, both make great photographic backdrops and may be viewed free of charge.

A large bronze ship’s wheel was donated to the museum by trustee John Roulstone and his children Jan Roulstone, Jake Roulstone and Jill Clements. Weighing 400 pounds and measuring more than six feet in diameter, the untitled sculpture is believed to be the largest bronze ship’s wheel in existence. It was cast as part of a larger sculpture by Delwyn “Fonderia” Pezzoni of, Aptos, Calif. When the original commissioning body was unable to fund the work’s completion, Pezzoni gave the wheel to the Roulstone family, who commissioned Pezzoni to cast a new hub for it with the inscription “Penobscot Marine Museum 1936,” the date of the museum’s founding. Concrete contractor Joe Thornley of Montville donated part of his services in installing the sculpture’s base, and Baxter Cook House & Building Movers of Searsport donated crane services to mount the wheel on its base.

The sculpture is a replica of the wheel of the full-rigged ship Balclutha. Built in 1886, Balclutha is a featured attraction at the San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park in California.

At six feet long, “Codfather” is a life-size interpretation in bronze of the world’s record cod; caught off Massachusetts in 1895, the fish weighed 211 pounds. The sculpture is on long-term loan to Penobscot Marine Museum by its creator, sculptor Steve Lindsay of Tenants Harbor. Lindsay installed the piece in front of Old Town Hall, which houses the museum’s permanent exhibit “Gone Fishing: Maine’s Sea Fisheries.”

Penobscot Marine Museum is on Route 1. For more information, call 548-2529 or visit PenobscotMarineMuseum.org.

VillageSoup Art/Entertainment Editor Dagney Ernest can be reached at 207-594-4401 or by e-mail to dernest@villagesoup.com.