A ceremony to honor Clark Nichols of Searsport was held on the grounds of Penobscot Marine Museum June 11. A plaque was unveiled in appreciation of Nichols, who is retiring from the museum’s board of directors after nearly 40 years of service. Speakers included retired Superior Court Justice Francis Marsano, Renny Stackpole, the museum’s former executive director, and board President Mary R. “Polly” Saltonstall.

Nichols has been a life member of the museum since its founding in 1936. In addition to serving in a general capacity on the board, he served terms as its president and treasurer.

The commemorative plaque was installed in the museum’s Old Vestry building in recognition of the leading role Nichols played in the museum’s acquisition of the property. The plaque reads: “In appreciation of Clark Nichols and his four decades of service to the Penobscot Marine Museum. Board member, Treasurer, President, Life Member since 1936. June 11, 2010.”

Penobscot Marine Museum is Maine’s oldest maritime museum and home to the state’s largest display of historic boats and outstanding collections of marine art and artifacts, ship models and historic photography. Its campus, including four ship captains’ homes, two boathouses, a town hall, a carriage house and other buildings, recreates a bustling coastal village during the Age of Sail.

Penobscot Marine Museum is on Route 1 in Searsport, between Camden, Bangor, and Mount Desert Island. More information is at PenobscotMarineMuseum.org or call 548-2529.