A Bucksport man is facing several charges stemming from a late night high-speed chase Sept. 12 that led to an accident in downtown Belfast and a brief foot chase prior to his arrest.

Police located and arrested Matthew M. Williams, 25, of Bucksport at a store on the east side of the city at about 2:30 a.m. Sept. 13.

Williams was charged with aggravated operating after revocation of an operator’s license, eluding a police officer, failure to stop for a police officer, violating conditions of release, aggravated criminal mischief, unauthorized use of property, exceeding the speed limit by more than 30 mph and leaving the scene of an accident, according to a press release from the Waldo County Sheriff’s Office.

Waldo County Chief Deputy Bob Keating said the incident began with a tip regarding Williams that came in to police late Sunday night.

“We were made aware that Matthew Williams was traveling between Augusta and Belfast, and we were also made aware that he had outstanding warrants,” Keating said, adding that the caller also stated that Williams’ license was under suspension.

Keating said Williams had a total of three warrants out for his arrest, two of which stemmed from a Class B burglary charge and a Class C theft charge that were the result of a break-in that took place in Penobscot County. The third warrant, also out of Penobscot County, was for failure to appear after being out on bail.

Deputies Nick Oettinger and Kevin Littlefield went looking for the Plymouth van that Williams was thought to be driving. Just after 11 p.m., Littlefield met Williams as he was headed toward Belfast on Route 3, and attempted to make a traffic stop.

Keating said initially Williams put on his blinker and began to pull over to the roadside, but he apparently changed his mind.

“He started to pull over, but then he just took off,” said Keating.

Littlefield then called for assistance from the Belfast Police Department, and that’s when Belfast Officer Brian Lunt became involved in the chase.

Keating said at one point, Lunt was driving just ahead of Williams, with the deputies traveling behind the van. Lunt had his lights and sirens activated, but Williams passed Lunt’s cruiser and just missed striking an oncoming vehicle.

Police reported that the van reached speeds of 90 mph as it approached the downtown business district, and as they approached the intersection of Routes 1 and 3, officers opted to slow down.

Williams continued down Main Street to Post Office Square. That’s where Lunt located the van, crashed into the postal vehicles that were parked at the Belfast Post Office. Williams fled on foot, according to the press release.

Keating said Waldo County deputies and Belfast officers called for the assistance of Maine State Police Trooper Corey Smith, who, along with his K-9, attempted to track Williams. The dog was unable to locate Williams in the downtown area.

Williams was located a couple of hours later on the east side of town, where Belfast Officer Mike Rolerson, Littlefield and Smith took him into custody.

The WCSO press release stated that Williams had a lengthy driving history, which shows eight convictions and 11 suspensions.

Keating said the agencies worked well together to apprehend Williams.

“It went very well, luckily no one was hurt,” he said. “This man was driving very dangerously.”

Williams is scheduled to appear in Waldo County Superior Court Monday, Nov. 22.