A Brooks man accused of killing his wife earlier this summer pleaded not guilty at his arraignment at Waldo County Superior Court Sept. 10.

Michael Littlefield, 48, faces a murder charge in connection with the June 25 shooting of his wife, 49-year-old Debbie Littlefield. Littlefield allegedly killed his wife at their home in Brooks following an apparent dispute over a muffler he had recently purchased for his vehicle.

At a Harnish hearing that was held at Fifth District Court in July, Justice Jeffrey Hjelm decided that Littlefield would be held without bail at Kennebec County Jail.

In August, A Waldo County Grand Jury indicted Littlefield on the charge of intentional or knowing murder.

According to court documents, police were first notified of the shooting shortly after 7 p.m. June 25 in a phone call from two of Michael Littlefield’s relatives.

The first relative reported that Debbie Littlefield was “dead at her home,” according to the affidavit, and said the second relative was checking on her. The second relative then got on the phone and confirmed that Debbie Littlefield had been shot and that she was dead.

Police records show that officers arrived at the Littlefield residence at 741 Veterans Highway less than 20 minutes after that 911call was placed. Around that same time, a third relative of Michael Littlefield’s called police and said he was there at her residence. This relative said Littlefield had stated that he had shot and killed his wife, according to the affidavit.

When police arrived at the home, they reportedly observed a woman lying on the floor in the kitchen area, and that she had apparently been shot in the head. Littlefield was not present at the home at that time, according to the affidavit.

Michael Littlefield was located shortly before 10:30 p.m. June 25 by officers from the State Police and the Waldo County Sheriff’s Office, according to the affidavit. He was found “sitting inside his silver 2005 Chevrolet pickup truck” at the home of his friend Donald Nickerson on Back Brooks Road in Monroe. He was arrested there without incident, according to the affidavit, and his pickup truck was seized and taken to the Maine State Police Crime Lab in Augusta.

In the hours that followed the shooting, according to the police report, Littlefield told a relative that he had shot Debbie Littlefield. Court records show that Littlefield also stated as much to Nickerson, who also told police that a rifle was visible inside Littlefield’s truck.

According to the affidavit, Littlefield also told Nickerson that the reason he shot his wife was because he was angry over an apparent dispute he and his wife had had earlier in the day about a muffler he had purchased. Littlefield additionally stated that he tried to “get up the nerve to shoot himself, but he could not,” Nickerson told police.