The Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife reminds waterfowl hunters that a State Migratory Waterfowl Permit ($7.50) is required for individuals ages 16 and older.

In addition, waterfowl hunters are required to have a small game or big game hunting license and a Federal Migratory Bird Hunting Stamp.

Also, when hunters purchase their license through MOSES, the department’s online licensing system, they are asked if they intend to be a “migratory bird program participant.” By answering “yes,” hunters only are saying that they may harvest waterfowl. It does not give them permission to do so. A license and the state and federal permit/stamp are required to hunt.

The State Migratory Waterfowl Permit is available for purchase at all license agents statewide and online at

VillageSoup sports staff can be reached at 207-594-4401 or by e-mail at