The trial of 57-year-old Randall Hofland of Searsport resumed Thursday morning, Jan. 13, but the accused hostage taker reserved his right to cross-examine the state’s witnesses.

Prior to the jury entering the courtroom at Waldo County Superior Court Thursday morning, Hofland told Justice Jeffrey Hjelm he would be unable to question witnesses for the day because jail personnel had refused to provide him with a pen.

Hofland said after leaving the Waldo County courthouse on the afternoon of Tuesday, Jan. 11, he did not arrive back at the jail in Madison until about 7:30 p.m. that evening and he was not returned to his cell until about 10 p.m that night.

The next day, Jan. 12, the courthouse in Belfast was closed due to the snowstorm, and Hofland said he had planned to use his time away from court to prepare for his trial, which was scheduled to resume the following day.

“The next day, my pen died,” Hofland said, referring to Jan. 12. “… I was never given a replacement pen until just before I came here today.”

Hofland said because he had nothing to write with — he also said the jail staff had previously denied him the use of a highlighter — he was unable to properly prepare for his cross-examinations.

Hofland said while he had had the chance to review court transcripts, the lack of a functioning writing implement meant he was unable to make notes within the transcripts.

Later on in the proceedings, Hjelm explained to the jury that Hofland would reserve his right to cross-examine the witnesses until the following day.

Hofland also inquired about a DVD he had presented as evidence in a pre-trial hearing, and also requested the return of audio files containing recordings of phone calls to the Waldo County Regional Communications Center. After some discussion, Hjelm approved Hofland’s request to have those items returned.

In addition, Hofland inquired about the clothing he was wearing on the night of Oct. 23, 2008, the night when he allegedly pulled a gun on former Searsport Police Officer Jessica Danielson during a seat belt detail on Route 1 in Searsport.

Hofland expressed particular concern about a blue Columbia jacket he said could not be found at Somerset County Jail, where he is currently being housed.

“The jail staff admitted that they needed to replace it,” said Hofland.

Hjelm asked Hofland if he had any photographs showing what the jacket looked like, and more specifically, what color it was.

Hofland said he didn’t have any photographs of him wearing the jacket, but suggested the judge order the jail to replace the coat. He suggested checking the Columbia catalog for a suitable replacement.

Hjelm agreed that the jacket would help show what different people observed at various times when Hofland was wearing the jacket in question; however, he told Hofland it was up to him and his court-appointed attorney, Jeffrey Toothaker, to resolve that issue.

“It seems to me that the initial burden is on the defense,” said Hjelm.

Hofland continued to express concern about how the jacket might be replaced, and again asked the judge to order the jail staff to replace it. As Hofland continued to speak, he audibly instructed Hjelm to “listen,” at which time Hjelm reminded Hofland how the court operates.

“Excuse me, Mr. Hofland, but you don’t tell me what to do and what not to do,” said the judge.

Hjelm informed Hofland he was bringing the jury in within one minute, and he did so despite Hofland’s continued efforts to express his grievances about replacement of the coat.

Because Hofland was not cross-examining witnesses, District Attorney Geoffrey Rushlau swiftly wrapped up his direct questions for Searsport Police Chief Dick LaHaye, Searsport and Stockton Springs part-time officer Darrin Moody and part-time Searsport officer Eric Bonney. The court took a brief recess before Bonney’s arrival, as Rushlau said Bonney worked overnight shifts and the court would need to await his arrival.

All of the officers who testified Thursday morning corroborated the version of events of Oct. 23, 2008, described by former Searsport police officers Steven Saucier and Jessica Danielson during previous testimony.