Police say Katrina Mitchell was “passed out” and intoxicated while the family dog, an 89-pound rottweiler named Hannibal, mauled her seven-month-old daughter Annabelle Mitchell to death on the evening of April 12.

Katrina Mitchell, 29, of Frankfort, pleaded not guilty to a charge of Class D endangering the welfare of a child during her initial appearance at Fifth District Court Friday, July 15, according to court records. Katrina Mitchell appeared via videoconference from Two Bridges Regional Jail in Wiscasset, where she was being held on $1,000 cash bail following her arrest Wednesday, July 13.

Court records at Fifth District Court in Belfast indicate that Katrina Mitchell was released on $1,000 cash bail Monday, July 18, and that her husband, Johnny Mitchell, posted her bail.

As part of her bail conditions, Katrina Mitchell is barred from using or possessing alcohol or drugs and will be subject to searches of her person, vehicle and residence. She will be subject to chemical testing, according to court records, and is also required to have a safety plan in place with the Maine Department of Health and Human Services.

According to an affidavit that was prepared by Maine State Police Detective Adam Kelley, MSP Sgt. Anna Love contacted him around 7:25 p.m. on the night of April 12 and requested that he go to a residence on Town Hill Road in Frankfort to respond to a reported infant death. The home was later identified in Kelley’s affidavit as that of Katrina and Johnny Mitchell.

Kelley stated that he arrived at the residence just before 9 p.m. and met with MSP Lt. David Tripp, who informed Kelley that the deceased infant, identified as seven-month-old Annabelle Mitchell, had been mauled by the family’s dog. Tripp also informed Kelley that the dog had been killed at the request of Johnny Mitchell, who Kelley noted was at work at the time of the baby’s death.

According to the affidavit, Tripp also informed Kelley that it was suspected that Katrina Mitchell was under the influence of alcohol or drugs and that MSP Detective Scott Bryant was preparing a search warrant in order to test Katrina Mitchell’s blood as well as to search the residence.

From there, Kelley stated in the court record, he went to an ambulance parked nearby, where Katrina Mitchell was located.

“I observed how [Katrina Mitchell] spoke loudly and seemed to be in conflict with police officers and EMT personnel inside the ambulance,” stated Kelley.

Kelley also stated in the affidavit that medical personnel at the scene had reported that Katrina Mitchell was “hitting, kicking and slapping” ambulance attendants, and that she was so unsteady on her feet that a police officer and an ambulance worker at the scene had to hold Katrina Mitchell up by her arms in order to get her from her porch to the ambulance.

Just before 10 p.m., Kelley interviewed Johnny Mitchell, who told the detective that Katrina Mitchell “probably had alcohol and marijuana in her system.” Johnny Mitchell also stated that Hannibal was friendly in nature and that there had never been any problems with him around Annabelle or the couple’s two-year-old son.

Johnny Mitchell also told Kelley, according to the affidavit, that when he left for work in the afternoon there were one or two beers in the residence, and that Katrina Mitchell had not been drinking any alcohol before he left for work that day. Johnny Mitchell added, according to the affidavit, that Katrina Mitchell had had a problem with alcohol in the past and that the two had an agreement that Katrina Mitchell would not drink unless he was at home and they had discussed it first.

Johnny Mitchell also observed, according to court records, that Katrina Mitchell “obviously had something to drink” after he spoke with her in the ambulance. Johnny Mitchell also told police they could find Katrina Mitchell’s marijuana pipe hidden in a cereal box in the kitchen, and during a subsequent search of the home, police reportedly did locate that item.

At about 10 p.m., according to Kelley’s affidavit, MSP Detective Chris Tupper interviewed Katrina Mitchell at Waldo County General Hospital in Belfast, where she told the detective how Annabelle Mitchell had fallen asleep on one end of the couch and that she had fallen asleep on the other end of the same couch.

“When Katrina [Mitchell] awoke she found Annabelle [Mitchell] lying on her back on the floor with claw marks on her body,” stated the affidavit. “Katrina [Mitchell] stated that her dog Hannibal attacked and killed Annabelle [Mitchell] but she did not know how because there was no noise.”

Kelley’s affidavit also noted that, “Katrina [Mitchell] said neither she nor her husband did anything wrong in reference to Annabelle [Mitchell]’s death.”

According to the affidavit, Katrina Mitchell stated that she drank a 40-ounce beer that day, but that she did not drink any more alcohol after the event, and further stated, “the beer she drank had nothing to do with Annabelle [Mitchell]’s death.”

Shortly before 11 p.m., Kelley stated that a test of Katrina Mitchell’s blood that was conducted at WCGH came back showing a blood-alcohol content of .30 percent, nearly four times the legal limit for driving a motor vehicle. WCGH personnel also administered a urine test for Katrina Mitchell, which came back positive for marijuana use, according to the court documents.

An additional BAC test, which Kelley stated was administered by the state Department of Health and Human Services about two hours later, showed Katrina Mitchell’s BAC at .25, which the detective stated was consistent with the prior test that was conducted at WCGH. According to Kelley’s affidavit, DHHS does not test blood for marijuana use and therefore could not confirm the urinalysis that was conducted at WCGH.

Kelley stated in his affidavit that he interviewed a friend of Katrina Mitchell’s at about 1 a.m. April 13. The friend had been a caretaker for the Mitchell’s children in the past, according to the court documents, and had come to the scene to pick up the 2-year-old boy after police had arrived. The friend reportedly showed Kelley her cell phone showing that Katrina Mitchell had called her at around 6:50 p.m. the previous evening and left a voicemail stating that Annabelle Mitchell was dead and that the dog killed her.

Following the interview with Katrina Mitchell’s friend, Kelley stated in his affidavit, he returned to the Mitchell residence and continued talking with Katrina Mitchell. Katrina Mitchell then reportedly showed police her own location on the couch where she was sleeping, and where she placed Annabelle Mitchell on the other end of the same couch prior to the incident.

Kelley observed at that time, according to court records, that there was a coffee table positioned parallel to the couch that had two large glasses of liquid in them, and that neither of the glasses appeared to have been disturbed. In his affidavit, Kelley also noted that Annabelle Mitchell’s body was found about five feet away from the couch.

“It appeared to me to be highly unlikely that Annabelle could have rolled off from the couch or that the dog could have pulled her off from the couch without knocking over either of the glasses that were on the coffee table,” stated Kelley in his affidavit.

On April 14, Kelley stated, he spoke with Katrina Mitchell by phone and she told him she had since recalled taking “a couple of swigs of vodka” after she called her husband and 911. Kelley stated in his affidavit that Katrina Mitchell estimated she drank between three and four shots of the vodka. Katrina Mitchell reportedly told the detective that she had had her first drink of beer at about 3 p.m. the afternoon of her daughter’s death.

According to the affidavit, Kelley spoke to a DHHS worker who was assigned to the Mitchells’ case and learned that Katrina Mitchell had obtained her medical records from her visit at WCGH on the night of April 12 and that she was aware of the results of her blood-alcohol content tests.

Kelley also stated that records from the Waldo County Regional Communications Center show that Katrina Mitchell hung up on dispatchers a total of three times April 12, and that her speech sounded “slurred at times.”

Kelley’s affidavit also revealed that by Katrina Mitchell’s own admission, April 12 was not the first time she had been passed out and intoxicated while caring for her children, and that she admitted to having done so in the past at least two or three times. Katrina Mitchell told the officer that she would have known whether Annabelle Mitchell was crying, according to the affidavit, because she would have heard it because she, in Kelley’s words, “had been drunk before and still heard her cry.”

Katrina Mitchell reportedly told Kelley that she was exhausted on April 12, and that she had hoped her husband would be getting out of work early so she could go to sleep.

In his affidavit, Kelley recalled asking Katrina Mitchell if she thought she should be charged with something, and she said yes because, the detective reported, “she didn’t think you should be that drunk around your kid.”

On July 7, according to court documents, Kelley spoke with Deputy Chief Medical Examiner Dr. Michael Ferenc, who conducted the autopsy on Annabelle Mitchell’s body. Ferenc reportedly told Kelley that the child suffered from “extensive clawing injuries, possibly but not necessarily bite injuries and associated blood loss. There was also evidence consistent with asphyxia, specifically evidence of compression of Annabelle [Mitchell]’s torso by the heavier dog.” Ferenc reported that the infant weighed about 20 pounds and the dog weighed about 89 pounds.

In speaking to Ferenc again July 11, Kelley stated, police learned that the child would have been able to cry out for help, based on the nature of her injuries.

“The number of claw marks on Annabelle Mitchell’s body were extensive, and could not be the result of one or two brief contacts between the dog and Annabelle [Mitchell],” Kelley wrote in the affidavit, summarizing what Ferenc had told him. “Many of the claw marks were associated with hemorrhage, which is indicative of Annabelle [Mitchell] being alive for at least part of the mauling and she would have been capable of crying and/or screaming due to pain.”

According to Kelley’s affidavit, Katrina Mitchell’s explanation of where she put the baby before she went to sleep herself “does not appear to be consistent with what was documented at the scene and her own description of Annabelle [Mitchell]’s limited mobility.”

Kelley also stated that Katrina Mitchell’s account of how much she had to drink the day of her daughter’s death was inconsistent with accounts from medical personnel and 911 dispatchers detailing her apparent condition after the event, and that her claim of consuming the vodka after calling 911 was “done in an attempt to explain her elevated BAC level as determined by Waldo County General Hospital, the results of which she had learned on her own.”

In his affidavit, Kelley noted that Katrina Mitchell was “passed out” rather than “taking a nap” at the time of the mauling.

On that note, Kelley stated in his account that Katrina Mitchell’s condition “diminished her ability to detect and react to any safety concerns that could arise.”

Court records indicate Katrina Mitchell is scheduled for trial Tuesday, Aug. 23.

Waldo County Deputy District Attorney Eric Walker said Class D endangering the welfare of a child carries a maximum penalty of 364 days in jail, two years probation and a $2,000 fine.