The amount of gas spilled from a fuel tanker truck that went off the road in Northport on Friday, July 15 was less than officials originally believed, according to an official from the Maine Department of Environmental Protection.

Speaking on Monday, July 18, Peter Blanchard, an oil and hazardous materials specialist for Maine DEP, said the Thompson’s Oil truck — which rolled over on the shoulder of Route 1 after swerving to avoid a car that had pulled out from a side road — spilled 25 gallons of gasoline and 35 gallons of diesel fuel.

A representative of Maine DEP told the Bangor Daily News over the weekend that the truck had spilled a total 150 gallons of fuel, but Blanchard said Monday that the contents of the truck’s fuel tanks had yet to be measured at that time.

The truck was carrying 4,250 gallons of gasoline in its freight tank, but initial reports indicated that a leak caused by the accident was slow. Blanchard said workers at the scene were able to recapture some of the gasoline that was leaking. The diesel, Blanchard said, came from a ruptured saddle tank used to carry fuel for the truck itself.

Route 1 was closed for more than six hours on Friday and residents were evacuated from the vicinity due to the potential for an explosion.

State police initially responded to the accident, which occurred around 8:20 a.m.

Several agencies subsequently responded to the scene, according to Maine State Police Lieutenant David Tripp, including Clean Harbors (the federal arm of the Department of Environmental Protection), the Maine DEP, the Northport Fire Department, the Searsport and Waldo County HazMat teams and the Waldo County Emergency Management Agency. Thompson’s Oil also has a HazMat team at the scene, Tripp said.

Route 1 was reopened around 3:20 p.m.

The initial investigation at the scene indicated that the driver of a passenger car pulled out in front of the fuel truck, according to Tripp, who said the driver of the truck “took evasive action” in an effort to avoid hitting the car and skidded off the road. The truck then rolled onto its side in the ditch, where it came to rest at a 45-degree angle, he said.

Police have not released the names of the drivers involved, but Tripp said the drivers of both vehicles were traveling alone, and that neither one of them were hurt in the accident.

Blanchard said Maine DEP and affiliated contractors worked at the scene over the weekend and plan to continue remediation work at the site for several days, removing contaminated soil and testing well water at nearby residences.

Blanchard said some of the fuel seeped under a culvert, which will be replaced during the remediation work in order to remove soil underneath. The work may cause delays on Route 1, he said.