A woman who had worked at a Searsport restaurant for more than two years is now being accused of stealing money from her former employer.

Chelsea N. Herrick, 28, of Stockton Springs was summoned for theft by unauthorized taking or transfer Tuesday, July 19, according to Searsport Police Chief Dick LaHaye. The charge against Herrick was the result of an investigation that was conducted by the Searsport Police Department, LaHaye said.

Anglers Restaurant proprietor Buddy Hall and his daughter, Anglers general manager Amy Nickerson, said they began suspecting someone was stealing from the business after discovering that varying amounts of cash were not accounted for in the routine counting of the cash drawers.

Seeing that it was becoming a trend, Nickerson said, Anglers managers began reviewing footage from the restaurant’s video surveillance cameras. After finding portions of video that Hall said raised suspicion, he contacted police and filed a formal complaint.

Once police got involved, Nickerson said, she and Hall soon learned that police suspected Herrick, who Nickerson said had worked for the business for more than two years.

Herrick is no longer employed at Anglers, Nickerson said.

Having a video surveillance system installed throughout the restaurant, said Nickerson, had once again served as a useful tool for police when investigating the case.

The system also provided police with video footage in June 2009, when Anglers was one of several Route 1 businesses that were burglarized. Through the use of the video, police were able to create still images of the man whose face was caught on tape, and distribute those images to the local media. Those images eventually led police to 33-year-old John Howard of Augusta, who was later charged in the break-ins.

In July of 2010, Howard was convicted on four counts of burglary, for which he received a fully suspended five-year prison sentence and was ordered to serve two years of probation and pay restitution of $5,948.97. Howard was also convicted on four counts of theft by unauthorized taking or transfer and was ordered to serve 30 days in jail. As a result of Howard’s conviction on the theft charges, he was ordered to pay additional restitution totaling $1,287.85.

Nickerson said the video surveillance system has since paid for itself several times over.

“It really has been worth its weight in gold,” she said.

When asked about the details of the case Monday, Aug. 1, LaHaye did not disclose the exact amount of cash that Herrick allegedly took from the restaurant, and said the matter remains under investigation.