Brooks Historical Society will hold an open house at their museum at the Pilley House on Sunday, Aug. 21, from 1-4 p.m. The sheds will be open, featuring collections of old tools, including the entire carpentry and house building collection as well as the handmade chest of the late Roscoe Barden of Brooks.

Also displayed will be the large model of a mortar and pestle used on the A.R. Pilley float in the 1916 Centennial parade. Other items from Brooks’ past will be the Staples sleigh and a large ox yoke from the former Roscoe Webber farm on Underpass Road. Farming, lumbering, shoemaking and blacksmith tools are also exhibited.

New exhibits inside the house are notebooks recently compiled of beautiful old holiday postcards from the once-prominent Dow family of Brooks corner and Underpass Road. Another notebook contains cards from the Marden family of Waldo, courtesy of Pauline Ravin. This one features places, many in Maine.

If you are really interested in Brooks’ history, come look through notebooks entitled “Dow Family Papers’ and “Hiram Pilley Papers.” Hiram was a shoemaker, who bought many of his supplies from Colburn Shoe Store of Belfast.

One more exhibit consists of beautiful seashells found in a bureau drawer in the shed, put there by Louise Pilley years ago.

Free refreshments will be served on the porch. Admission is free, but free-will donations are gratefully accepted. If hot weather prevails, the house will be air conditioned.

Our town has a wonderful history, and the society members wish to share it with everyone.