A woman and her young son escaped injury Wednesday evening, Aug. 31 when a fire broke out while she was cooking at her Patterson Hill Road apartment.

Belfast Fire Chief Jim Richards said Mary Mann, who resides at Bay Head Apartments, was heating vegetable oil in a frying pan when the fire started in the kitchen.

“Luckily there was a sprinkler head just above it,” said Richards. “There was just water damage.”

The fire was reported at about 4:45 p.m. Richards said when he arrived a few minutes later, all of the tenants had evacuated the building and gathered outside. The fire had already been extinguished by the sprinkler system, Richards said.

“It worked really well,” said Richards, noting that three Belfast fire trucks and 17 firefighters responded to the scene. “Everything worked out great.”